Approaching jewelry from outside of the binary, Lena Wunderlich’s work seeks to break the traditions of gendered design. Playing with simplicity, her series of work uses shape and weight to create balance in a world obsessed with duality. Using contrasting materials like silicone and metal, Wunderlich looks to find equilibriums where the negative spaces are just as important as the positive.
Based in Germany, Lena initially trained as a goldsmith through the Chamber of Handicraft of East Westphalia before going on to receive a BA in Integrated Design at Köln International School of Design and a Master of Fine Arts in Jewelry and Metalsmithing from the Rhode Island School of Design.
- 2020‘Broaching the Subject’ Exhibition Gallery Balefire Goods, Arvada, Colorado, April 2020.
- 2019Circulation: Jewelry Under the Action of the Heart, NYC Jewelry Week, hosted by Pratt Institute, NYC, November 18 - 24, 2019.
- 2019Internationale Handwerksmesse, Schmuck/Frame Messe München, Germany. March 13 - 17, 2019.
- 2019Qade art fair Rotterdam, Netherlands. February 6 - 10, 2019.
- 2018Internationale Schmuck und Kunst Ausstellung Gallery In-Jewels, Berlin, Germany. August 11 - 26, 2018.
- 2018Jewelry exhibition at Museum Het Valkhof in Nijmegen, Netherlands. November 3, 2017 - January 7, 2018.
- 2017Marzee for Starters’ gallery Amsterdam, Netherlands. 2017.
- 2016Marzee International Graduate Show 2016 Galerie Marzee, Nijmegen, Netherlands. August 21 - October 29, 2016.
- 2016RISD Graduate Thesis Exhibition 2016 RI Convention Center, Providence, RI. May 26 - June 4, 2016.
- 2016'Feast and Fathom' Jewelry & Metalsmithing Triennial, Woods Gerry Gallery, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI. January 28 - February 21, 2016.
- 2015'Expanded Field: Traversing the Archeology of Gender', Gelman Gallery, Providence, Rhode Island, May 7 - May 31, 2015.
- 2014'Mettle' the Jewelry + Metalsmithing Biennial Graduate Show Sol Koffler Gallery, Providence, Rhode Island, November 2014.
- 2014KISD Thesis Exhibition 2014 Rautenstrauch-Joest-Museum, Cologne, Germany July 11 - August 2014.
- 2012Jewelry & Metalsmithing Triennial Woods Gerry Gallery, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI. November 2 - 11, 2012.
- 2012THE CONFERENCE, an exhibition with Mieke Gerritzen, Gallery 'Werft 11', Cologne, Germany, January 16 - February 12, 2012.